Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Introducing Calista.

Our new foster baby arrives today.  Her name is Calista.  She was taken from a "breeder," along with 11 other small dogs when the "breeder" could no longer care for them.  Although it appears to me as though she never did.  Her rescuer, ironically, is originally from Forest Lake, MN!  She runs a shelter up in a small town called Leslie, about two hours north of Little Rock.  Her and I talked only briefly on the phone this morning, but I could tell that if we lived closer together, we would be fast friends.  Like me, she was initially shocked, and now just angry at how dire the situation is for so many animals in this state.  She tries her best not to adopt any dogs out within AR and works with other rescuers in MN to try and get the dogs to a State where people have a better understanding of how to properly take care of their pets.  She and I are meeting today at noon. 

I am told that Calista has gained 10 pounds since she was surrendered, but she is still very weak.  She also appears to have had some head trauma in her recent past.  God only knows how that happened.  She has severe food aggression toward the other dogs (no surprise there) but other than that, is a friendly girl.  I'm anxious to meet her!




3 comments:

  1. Oh my god! She is just all skin and bones! And so SMALL! How old is she? Poor baby. I'm sure you'll make her a loving wonderful dog, easily adoptable by some loving family :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No clue how old she is. In this condition, it's almost impossible to determine accurately. The first vet that saw her said anywhere from three to seven. She is VERY small. The pictures don't even show how bad of shape she is in. I am disgusted. The poor thing can hardly walk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see the after pictures. You will have her in good shape in no time. I love reading your stories.

    Julie Sonnek

    ReplyDelete