Saturday, February 4, 2012

D.C....meet Enzo.

Friday morning:

This morning I have a heavy heart.   Yesterday I put sweet Enzo, who I had fallen in love with, on a bus to his new home.  Don't get me wrong, I couldn't be more pleased with his new home, but out of state adoptions are harder for me to deal with and Enzo and I were extremely attached to one another. 

He is going to be a big city dog, living it up in our nation's capital.  His new home is right in the heart of downtown D.C.  A very dog-friendly area, his apartment building even has it's own dog park where residents gather each night to socialize and let their dogs play together.  The lobby  has a supply of treats sitting out for it's four legged tenants.  He will have the best of both worlds, being a spoiled "only child" yet getting to play with his friends every day.  He is such a character, I'm sure he will win everyone over and become popular quickly.  I have a vision in my head of a well dressed doorman opening the big fancy door with a cheerful "Good morning, Enzo!" as they head out at the start of each day.  Perhaps I watch too much tv, but it makes me smile, so that is how I picture his future. 

He will get picked up in Hagerstown, Maryland (about 3 hours from his new home) between 3:30 and 5:30a.m. tomorrow morning.  Until then, when I get that phone call from his adopter, Chana, that he has safely arrived, I will continue to be a nervous wreck.

Saturday evening :

Enzo arrived in all of his glory!  Apparently, he was not "broken" by the transport.  He bounced back quickly and on day one, has already embraced city life.  Their first day together included a six mile walk, stopping in at not one, but two doggy boutique/bakeries and even dropping by to meet her dry cleaner, who always has yummy treats on hand.  I am impressed, as is Chana, at his ability to adapt to such an enormous change so quickly.  Her original plan was to bring Enzo home to rest and recover from the stress that is transport.  She expected him to show up exhausted and a bit scared.  Not so.  He was ready to explore his new world right away. 

The person who did our home visit for us (pre-adoption) adopted from our rescue about two years ago and lives only a mile from Chana and Enzo.  At the time of the inspection, they hit it off so well that they actually set up a play date.  Perhaps it is the champagne that I have been drinking (judge me if you will, it's been a rough week),but it just blows my mind when I think that two dumped dogs from central Arkansas are now neighbors across the country, in Washington D.C. of all places!  And it's an area where dogs are treated with a great level of respect and welcomed, wholeheartedly, by the community.  This is success in it's highest form. 

Good Bye, sweet friend.  I will never forget you. 


There is someone new in my life who's arrival has been over shadowed by Enzo's departure.  Their stays here overlapped by a few days and they bonded immediately.  Stay tuned...

1 comment:

  1. From scrappy little mange dog to Mr. Fancy D.C. Socialite! Enzo is going to be a great advertisement for BoxAr. Everyone will see what a handsome, awesome boy he is and everyone will want an Enzo.
    Another job well done, Les!

    ReplyDelete