Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Bella, one week update.

Today marks one week since Bella got her injections.  She is doing well, overall, though the treatment has been hard on all of us, as expected.  Her first night she extremely sick and my heart was breaking for her as her entire body trembled in pain.  Motherly Dixie was up all night long, pacing the house and whining nervously for her friend.  Luckily the immense pain stage passed quickly and by the end of day two she was feeling much better.   Friday she had to be hospitalized for observation as she began coughing, a sign that the emboli are irritating her lungs.  I had to go to work and couldn't leave her alone in case the situation were to escalate.  She got a steroid, cough suppressant, and a new anti-inflammatory added to her daily meds.  She has continued to cough all week, which is scary.  I am relieved every day when I get home and see her alive and well in her crate.  She has about another week before she is out of the highly critical stage of the treatment. 

The hardest part is how sad and confused she is about being kept from having fun and playing with the others after two months of doing nothing but.  I'm sure she feels as if she is being punished.  I so wish I could explain to her, and the other dogs, that it was for her own good.  After the two week period is over, I will start bringing her with me to work so she gets at least some variation back in her life. 

1 comment:

  1. Poor Bella! I'm sure it is confusing to her that she can't play with her friends. But she's a smart dog & she'll know you are doing what's best for her.
    Rest, sweet Bella, and get well! The life you so deserve is ahead for you now.

    ReplyDelete