Friday, August 31, 2012

Our Miracle

Not long ago, it was looking like the end for our girl.  I was heart broken. I am very emotional as I write this post, because I feared I would never get the chance. I couldn't be happier to annouce that Bella is 99% heartworm free! (which is considered negative as her last dose of oral ivermectin will finish off the process)

The x rays showed much improvement overall.  The lungs are a whole lot clearer and the tangled vessels within them are settling down.  There is still a small bit of fluid.  The doctor is hopeful that they will continue to correct themselves over time.  Her heart, although smaller than before, has not returned to it's pre-heartworm state.  It likely never will.  It was so fiercely stretched out by the infestation, that the damage is irreparable. The good news is that she is not showing any clinical signs of cardiac disease.  We will monitor her now that she is off of restriction and see how she handles a more regular active lifestyle.  If there is no coughing or exercise intolerance, it will point to her being able to live a normal life.  She will still be listed as a special needs dog because any potential adopter will need to be aware of all that she has gone through and that there is the potential for heart problems to develop in the future.  Precautionary chest x rays at her annual exams will be highly recommended.  The doctor's best guess at life expectancy for her is 10 years.  Had she not contracted heartworm disease, it would likely be around 15 years but given her prognosis six weeks ago, I consider 10 years fantastic. She has her small size working in her favor (smaller dogs tend to live longer) as well as the mutt factor (mixes typically have fewer health issues than pure bred dogs). 

Bella is a true miracle dog.  She has beaten the odds that were greatly against her.  She has the chance to live a long, happy life.  Now we need to focus on finding her the perfect home.  She will not be an easy adoption.  If anyone knows somebody that would be a great match for Bella, please spread the word.  I will be very cautious in placing her. 

Words can not express my gratitude to everyone who has been supporting us these past two months.  All of the kind words, the prayers, and the donations for her medical expenses are what got us through this.  I am so incredibly thankful for Bella's extended foster family. 


 
 

 


2 comments:

  1. This is such good news. Go Bella!!! I hope there is a lot of dog play around your house today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tears as I read your post. Having met Bella and seen her beautiful personality, I have a special love for her. So glad to hear she is doing this well. Good Luck little Bella!!

    ReplyDelete