Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Conflicted.

That is how I am feeling about what to do with Winston.  We have a rescue in New Hampshire that is willing to take Winston.  It's a great rescue, absolutely.  It's the one that took Buster, the dog that nobody would foster so he remained in boarding here for two months.  They had a foster-to-adopt family already waiting for him at transport pick up!  Transferring to a rescue out east was definitely best for Buster, but he was living in a cage.  I'm not sure that is the best thing for Winnie.  We are his fifth home in seven months!  I understand that the rescue's mission is to save as many dogs as we can and seven months is a long time.  However, as his foster mom, I feel that my personal priority is my obligation is to Winnie.  He has improved dramatically in the month that he has been in our home. I really want him to know stability.  I would certainly be open to him going to an approved forever home out there, pending me spending plenty of time talking with them first, but moving to yet another temporary home just doesn't seem fair to him.  At the same time, I think about the three dogs of mine that went to homes in DC and they are some of my best adoptions.  His chance of adoption would very likely be better out there.  And then I think maybe I am making the wrong decision keeping him here.  Am I being unintentionally selfish because I don't want to give up control of where Winston ends up?  Or arrogant, like we are the only home that could possibly meet Winston's needs?  Because although that has proven true thus far in his life, I know there are plenty of people out there as good as I, or even better, for him.  But how will I know if he finds them if I let him go? 

Any words of advice would surely be appreciated. 

2 comments:

  1. That's definitely a tough situation & I don't envy you having to make it!

    So as an outsider, not knowing Winston personally (which I know makes a BIG difference), I think that the option to transfer him to the NH rescue sounds like a good one. You've had good experiences with them in the past, and he'll be getting potentially more opportunities to find a forever home sooner. You would be able to take on another dog in need of rescuing, and you'd be able to work your magic on him or her, while knowing that Winston is in a pretty good place (although surely not as good as his current residence).

    I don't know how helpful that will be for you, since I pretty much re-capped what you already said, but I know that no matter what, you'll make the decision that is the best for Winston!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything that you and Bonni said. My first instinct is to tell you to keep this poor dog who is finally happy and feels a part of a family, but the thing is that you won't be keeping him forever under any situation. He will eventually need to move on and it's never going to be easy to let him go. Your experience with this rescue has been good and if it gets him settled into his forever home sooner, then that seems to be what is best for Winston.

    This is another tough decision and you seem to always make the right one, Les.

    ReplyDelete