Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Bark in the Park

The rescue had it's summer picnic fund raiser on Saturday.  They had BBQ, games, and a small silent auction.  Great idea...if it were in October!  It was soooo frickin hot!  Although it was at a nice, big, beautiful park, everyone and their dogs were gathered under the pavilion, which made it a pretty tight quarters.  We met a couple of people who recognized Jax from the rescue's website, and I recognized a few dogs too. Dixie met a 200+ pound English Mastiff and was, in a word, terrified.  She embarrassed me by leaping first over, then under the picnic table all while doing a half whine, half bark.  What a commotion.  Afterward, a sympathetic woman walked over to us and said to Dixie "I would have done the same thing sweetie.  That dog is HUGE"  That made me feel a little better.  Jax seemed to handle the event pretty well.  He took it all in, very curious, but never over-excited or anything.   Despite the misting fans, and plenty of water, 103 is just too hot for us.  We were there for less than an hour before taking the dogs...and me, home out of the heat!  I hope they made some money for the dogs, and maybe even got an adoption or two.


I managed to get one cute picture while we were there.



Jonathon took this one.  I guess that hour was a pretty exhausting one!  Dixie, Jax and I all crashed on the couch right away, happy to be back in the central air.

1 comment:

  1. That IS a cute picture! Yeah, you should write a quick email to the organizers...probably going to be better to have picnic when it's not 100 degrees outside :-).

    ReplyDelete