Thursday, December 30, 2010

And...she's back.

Well, Callie is back.  The trial period was nothing short of a disaster.  

I got a text only hours after they picked her up on Sunday telling me that Calista had had two episodes of "explosive diarrhea."  What?! She had been acting totally normal all day and we have never had any diarrhea issues with her before.  I assumed, therefore, that it was caused by stress.  She is a very sensitive dog.  I had even warned them that she lost three pounds the last time she was away from us and not to be surprised if she didn't eat well.  I told them to let me know how she was doing later in the evening and I could call her vet if need be.  Jonathon and I instantly had lower expectations of this being a success.  A dog that is crapping all over your house is certainly less a desirable companion.  It seemed as if Calista was sabotaging her chance of adoption.  Sigh.

I heard nothing from them that evening and nothing for the next two days.  We were  somewhat relieved, assuming that no news was good news.  We were actually talking as if it were a done deal.  Still, I had a gut feeling that I couldn't shake.  I told Jonathon that I felt like something was wrong and that Calista would be coming back to us.  When it comes to my dogs, my gut is almost always right.    

Sure enough I got a text that same night  "Calista is still very sick and I have had a personal emergency.  When are you coming home tomorrow?"   Being the cynic that I am, I wondered if there really was an emergency, or if three days of an ill dog, spewing god knows what all over their apartment had gotten to be too much for them.   I called immediately, as the words "very sick" worried me.  I wondered why they hadn't called me or the vet if she was so ill.  No answer.  She called me back within the hour.  I instantly felt guilty for doubting them, as there actually was an emergency.   In fact, she had spent the entire day at the emergency room, while her partner stayed home because they couldn't leave Calista alone.   The medical issue that she is dealing with (not really my place to post that specifically) has the potential to be life-changing and our thoughts are with them.  What a nightmare to have that scare and to have the added stress of a sick dog that isn't even theirs was just overwhelming for them.  I could tell they felt bad having to call and tell me that.  Of course I told them that they certainly shouldn't feel bad and I completely understand.  I told them to just leave Callie and all of her stuff at my vet the next morning and I would pick her up there when we got home.  She assured me that they both loved Calista and it was their situation, not Calista's being ill, that changes things.  

I didn't really know what to expect with Callie.  Everyone's idea of "very sick" is different.  I didn't know if she was going to be fine, or hooked up to an IV when I got there!  I was very relieved when she ran out into the lobby to greet me and started dancing around as usual.  Turns out, thankfully, that she checks out fine.  Strangely, she wasn't even dehydrated. I was given some pills to quiet her GI system but that's it.  They could find no reason for that symptom, and it was the only one she had.  How frustrating for this to happen now of all times, with no explanation whatsoever. 

One last surprise came with the last text I received from the potential adopters  "We are going to a few Doctor's appointments next week and are letting this soak in, but we are still talking about her coming to live with us.  We will let you know soon."

What an impression little Calista must have made on them.  I don't know how this will turn out, but I do know that if these good people are still interested in taking her after all they dealt with in their time with her, I would feel 100 percent confident in that adoption. 

No comments:

Post a Comment