Sunday, December 26, 2010

Here's hoping...

 We are one dog short this afternoon.  Calista just left for a trial period with her potential adopters!  She will be staying with them while we are up at the cabin for the next four days.  I'm kind of shocked at how quickly this is happening.  I was honestly assuming it would be months before anyone showed interest in her.  Here is how it all went down over the last few days. 

(Tuesday night) 
To my surprise, (surprise being an understatement) before we had even changed Calista's status from "available for sponsorship" to available for adoption", I got an email from the adoption coordinator at the rescue.  Someone was interested in Calista?!  They hadn't heard her whole story so they didn't know about her issues.  Surely if they had, they would have selected one of the 20-30 other "normal" boxers from the rescue.  I emailed them, telling of how sweet and well behaved she is, but not hiding her history or leaving out any of her special needs.  I didn't let my hopes get too high.

 (Wednesday)
The day went by, me checking my email every hour, and I heard nothing in response. Just as I expected.  They must have read my email and went with another dog.  I was disappointed, but not surprised.

(Thursday)
I got a phone call from the coordinator in the morning letting me know that the people actually wanted to meet Calista!  I called them and arranged for them to stop by later in the day.  They had not ever received my email, so they were still a little under-informed when they arrived at our house that afternoon.  I had warned them on the phone that she is very shy around new people and I was actually a little afraid that she wouldn't make a very good first impression.  She typically just hides when strangers come around.  (Since we had to focus on healing her physically for so long, she is far from being well socialized. I have just started to take her to the office since the clean bill of health.)  She wasn't nearly as bad as I expected her to be.  Although she stayed very close to me, she approached them both and warmed up pretty quickly.  They kept saying how gorgeous she is, but were a little apprehensive about how fragile she looks.  We assured them that she is much more strong and agile than she appears.  They stayed for nearly an hour, getting Calista's whole story and petting her.  Of course they were getting mauled by Dixie and Jax the entire time.  Their reaction to the over-the-top affection proved that they are indeed "dog people."  We agreed that to really get to know her, and see if she would be a good fit for their family, (that includes the two of them and an eight pound chihuahua mix) they should take her home for a few days.

That brings us to today.  They picked her and her stuff up about an hour ago with the arrangement that they would keep her until we return from the cabin on Wed night.  If, at that time, they have decided that she is not a good fit for their family, she will come back to us.  There will be no hard feelings.  If, however, they have fallen in love with her, she will not come back here.  Since she is extremely attached to us, the dogs, and the house, bringing her back for only a few days would be selfish.  We don't want to make the transition any harder on her than it has to be.  Instead, I will go to their house to collect my stuff and the adoption donation. At that time, I will say a proper goodbye to my little friend.

I am trying hard not to get my hopes up.  They have made no commitment and anything could happen.  In all honesty, though, I am praying that it works out.  They are the right amount of nervous and asked all the right questions both times they were here.  I think they would be great parents for her!

I will hopefully have an update on Thursday!  In the mean time, keep your fingers crossed for Callie to have a forever home for the New Year!

2 comments:

  1. My thoughts are with you guys! Good luck! I hope everything works out well so you'll be available to help another dog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's awesome. I hope it all works out! If not, another adopter will come along. Callie has a home waiting for her somewhere!

    ReplyDelete