Tuesday, June 28, 2011

2011 Fundraiser Picnic

The fundraiser picnic was a really good time (minus the sweat).  It was fun meeting so many of the dogs that I only "know" via the website.  Our neighbor, Leslie, and her dog Bliss (you saw her in the previous post) went with us.  It's always great getting a bunch of dog people together.  It's great giving and getting advice to and from other rescuers and encouraging potential adopters.  Jax has matured into a very well behaved young man and comments were made by all.  He wore his "I'M DEAF" collar cover, which he always wears when we go out in public.  Besides it being a safety measure for him, people are always curious and it encourages them to ask questions.  That gives me the opportunity to advocate for special needs dogs, like him, that are so often discarded.  He is a wonderful example of why that common practice is ridiculous. 

Actually, I learned about a chapter in Jax's life that I had never known before.  You may remember that when we first got him, the rescue had taken him from a guy who had just found out that he was deaf and was planning to shoot him.  I now know that he was acquired by that man from another family in exchange for a tank of gas!  Can you believe that?  They had run out of gas and traded their dog for a fill up.  I suppose they thought that they were getting a good deal.  After all, what value does a deaf dog have?  It's no wonder why he was such a mess.  He was treated like an disposable object. 

We didn't get our new foster dog as planned.  She came down with kennel cough a couple of days before.  She should be just fine, but it's quite contagious to other dogs.  Of course she couldn't come to the fundraiser and pass the illness around to everyone.  Probably not a good way to promote the rescue.  

Silly me.   Although I made a point to pack my camera, I left it in the car the entire time.  I have no pictures to share from our day.


Just a small disclaimer...

(A few people have asked about this) You will notice that I never actually use the names of the rescue/rescuers that I am involved with.  This is because although I do represent them in public, I do not speak for them in this blog.  These are merely my personal thoughts and experiences.  As an admittedly opinionated person, I rarely filter myself when it comes to something that I am this passionate about.  I know that my words may offend some people.  For that reason, I never want this blog to be connected to the rescue.   If, however, you are looking for a dog, or are just curious, I would be more than happy to give you the name and website of our rescue in a private message!  Just leave me a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment