Monday, August 29, 2011

I'm a stage mom!

Ezra is doing as good as can be expected at the boarding facility.  She really seems to like her caretakers.   Some days I pick her up and bring her to work with me.  She loves all of the extra attention she gets from the guys.  She welcomes every stranger that she meets with enthusiasm.  A guard dog, she is not:-)  We continue to hope for an ideal home for her. 

This Saturday, Jax and I participated in a charity dog show.  It was put on by the local Rotary Club and over 200 people showed up.  It raised over $16,000 for orphaned children.  We didn't come home with the trophy, but had there been a "fan favorite," Jax would have had it in the bag!  I didn't realize what a ham he was.  Many of the dogs got understandably nervous walking up the stairs and across the stage.  Not Jax!  He marched right up and stopped in front of the judge's table.  He turned and scanned the crowd giving them his best boxer grin.  It was as if he knew exactly what he was there for.  After our initial introduction on stage, I had people approaching us throughout the event.  Everyone wanted to meet the deaf dog.  They all had so many questions about him and communicating with him.  Even the MC, a local news anchor, didn't hide the fact that he had a favorite dog, asking for a kiss from Jaxy as we exited the stage after one of our passes.  Everyone laughed and cheered as Jax gave him a nice sloppy one right at the microphone.   A couple times, children surrounded him and he couldn't have been more thrilled to be covered in little hands.  Perhaps there is therapy work in our future afterall.  Unfortunately, we went by ourselves, so I have no pictures of our fun day to share. 




4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh - I haven't read your blog in a long time. Wow. A lot has happened. I'm sitting here at work crying first because I'm so happy for Bindi and then because I'm so bummed about poor Ezra. And then I'm picturing Dixie - tough acting, yet sensitive. Luckily, I'm basically alone in the office at 7pm. I hope Ezra continues to get better and that she finds her home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story. You must be so proud of Jax. I know I am. He's such a sweetie-pie and after all he went through before you found him and saved him, to learn that he's now a confident and social dog-show super-star is just amazing. Congratulations to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jax is amazing. What a superstar. Maybe you should focus his therapy training with deaf children/adults.
    I can't believe Ezra is such a sweetie and can't find a home. There must be a home out there for a dog who wants to be a solo dog. Bonni, stop working so much and move to Hampshire Hills so you can adopt Ezra!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually...I AM moving there. In 20 days!!! But not the dog building. Not yet. I can't have 2 cats & a dog in a little 1 bedroom apartment. OK - I could. But people might think bad things about me.

    ReplyDelete