Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Bye Bye Bindi!

Bindi Sue is in her forever home!  After all of that, she actually went out there a week earlier than we originally planned on. 

There we a few more scares along the way.  One morning I woke up to a quivering Bindi with bloody discharge coming from her nose.  She also refused food for the first time ever.  I immediately took her in to the vet, fearing the worst.  He discovered that she had a sinus infection (steroids make her more susceptible to secondary infections).  Her heart actually sounded good and her lungs were clear.  All of the discharge and noisy breathing were now coming from her throat and head.  Although she looked like crap, Doc assured me that she was on the road to recovery and that we were officially "over the hump" with the heart worm treatment.  What a relief!  Stupid sinus infection pretending to be heart worm complications scared me to death!

Last Friday I took her in for her final injection and exam.  Everything checked out and she was given the "all clear."  Ironically, as I was starting to plan her trip to her forever home for the following week, I got a phone call from a board member of the rescue about another dog.  As we talked, I mentioned to her that Bindi was ready for her forever home.  It turned out that she was actually heading out toward Memphis the very next day to pick up another dog from our Memphis board member.  She offered to take Bindi along.  I emailed Trish (her new mom) to put the idea out there.  I assured her that if she wasn't ready yet, or had other plans, it was fine with me if Bindi stayed another week.  I had barely hit the "send" button when my phone rang.  "Yes! Yes!  Of course we want her now!"  So, Saturday morning we sent her off on transport to her forever home. 

Later that evening, I received a very sweet email from Trish telling me how much they already love her and how much she appreciated everything we did for their new baby.  She told me that little Bindi was filling a void in their family that had existed since they lost their boxer back in January.  She said that their older dog "came back to life" today after grieving for his lost companion for so long.  In that moment, all of the sleepless nights were worth it.  Bindi was safely in her forever home and a wonderful family was complete again. 

1 comment:

  1. Hooray! You are the best foster mom ever! Bindi and Trish are both very lucky you were a part of their lives. And so am I.

    Love.

    ReplyDelete