Monday, July 11, 2011

3 Days down...27 to go.

We had a long weekend here.  I picked Bindi up from the vet Friday afternoon.  She was very happy to see me, but clearly in extreme pain.  The first 24 hours were awful for her, and awful to watch.  She hurt so badly that she was quivering all over.  She barely even moved.  She was absolutely pathetic.  By Sunday, thankfully, she was feeling so much better.  The hard part now is keeping her calm (as I mentioned before, she is NOT a calm puppy!) and cool (it was 109 degrees out yesterday!).   To make things more difficult, she needs to be on steroids.  They not only make her the total opposite of calm, but also make her have to pee constantly, which means going out into the extreme heat more often.  Ironic. Thanks Doc. 

She is exhausting me (I should say this process is exhausting me, not her).  She is literally leashed to one of us every minute of the day.  She wants so badly to play that if she gets away from us, she will sprint into action.  Overnight, I have to get up with her at least twice to take her outside to pee and then I'm up by 5:30 a.m. for yet another pee, breakfast (the steroids also increase her appetite big time), and morning meds. 

Last night, on top of it, she coughed a lot.  That completely freaked me out, making it nearly impossible  to sleep.  I kept worrying that she was going to have a heart attack and die on me! Because of the coughing, and my paranoia, I'm taking her in to the doctor this afternoon so he can check her out.  I want to cover all of my bases.

The worst part is that we can do every single thing right, take absolutely no chances, and she can still die at any second.  Somebody needs to come up with a more modern way to treat heart worm.  This is brutal. 

The moral of the story is... Pay the $7.00 per month to get your dog heart worm prevention!  You do not want to go through this shit.  Not to mention, the treatment varies in price from $1,000 to $2,000 dollars! 

1 comment:

  1. Ugh. Keep on fightin' the good fight! You're amazing and so is Bindi! Together you can do this.

    Let me know if there's anything I can do from this distance :-). Love you!

    ReplyDelete