Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Settling in.

Bindi settled in nicely over the week.  She does much better through the nights, now that she is sleeping on the dog bed in our room instead of in a crate.  She just has some major insecurity issues, which leads to separation anxiety.  She is a very smart girl, and is eager to please.  I taught her "sit" and "down" in one afternoon.  She is also very sweet and although shy, she seems to like everyone she meets- even the cats.   

Most of her progress, however, is because of what she has absorbed from Dixie and Jax.  I can train her.  I can assure her that not every person has a heavy hand or a loud voice.  However, only those two can show her how to relax, have fun, and just be a dog.  They are, without a doubt, an integral part of the program.  I know that fostering takes it's toll on them, especially when the dogs that they grow to love and become attached to leave our home.  I ask a lot of them in this respect and they never disappoint me.  Dixie is especially sensitive to every new dog's specific problems or needs.  She seems to know within the first minute how to approach each one.  Bindi was extremely afraid of them at first, causing her to act out, not in aggression, but in fear.  Dixie was so gentle.  Over the first couple of days, she approached Bindi frequently, putting a paw on her back or head, trying to encourage interaction.  Bindi responded by growling or snapping at her.  Dixie was undeterred.  She simply backed off and tried again later, never giving up.  As you will see by the pictures below, her technique worked like a charm. 


At the office.

New friends.

Can you believe how tiny she is?  She is a mini-boxer!

Dixie being a good mom:-)


Tomorrow morning, I will drop her off at the vet's office, where she will be administered her treatment over 24 hours.  The next 14 days are the most critical of her life.  I would be a liar if I said I wasn't a little freaked out. 

1 comment:

  1. Stop making me cry!

    I am so proud of Dixie and Jax. I always think about how hard YOU work and how hard it is for YOU to lose the dogs to their forever homes, but of COURSE it's just as hard on D and J.

    Good dogs! Love you!

    ReplyDelete