Sunday, March 4, 2012

Please, Stop!

When Asia died, it about destroyed me.  The only thing worse for me, concerning my dogs, would be for one of them to get lost.  I just couldn't take not knowing if they were dead or alive, suffering on the side of the road somewhere, or, God forbid, had fallen into the wrong hands.  That is why I never hesitate to stop what I'm doing to assist a loose dog.  I understand that not everyone is capable of handling a "stray" dog.  It isn't necessarily safe if you don't know what you are doing.  But if a dog has a collar on, he isn't a "stray," he has simply lost his way.  He likely has a home and he may just have somebody, like me, worried sick and broken hearted at his absence.  So I ask of you all, dog lovers or not, the next time you see somebody's four legged family member running at large, please don't ignore him.  Please stop.  The five minutes that you take to check the tags and call the owner, the vet, or even animal control (for those of you fortunate enough to have animal control in your area) could make a world of difference to somebody. 

I did just that on Thursday afternoon while I was driving around doing sales leads for work.  I shuddered as a stout little beagle narrowly avoided getting hit by a car.  He clearly had no clue as he padded down the middle of a well-traveled street.  He had a red harness on and I could see the id tags from my car.  Beagles are usually pretty friendly to strangers so I'd no doubt that I could catch him.  I got out and called to him and he came scampering over, tail wagging.  He was clean and well fed.  His name, "Chance," was printed on his collar.  It was strange because the phone number on the tag was from a town 25 miles away.  I called the number and got no answer but I left a message.  It was during work hours, so I wasn't surprised.  I put Chance in my car and he accompanied me the rest of the day.   Later, back at the office, I got the phone call from Chances very relieved owner.  He and his wife were staying in Little Rock preparing for an estate sale at his recently deceased mother's house and the back door had been left open.  They had been searching and worrying all day.  The house wasn't far from my own, so I told them I'd bring Chance back to them.  When I pulled up with him, an older couple met me in the yard.  There were instant tears and big hugs for me.  They were so thankful.  The woman told me that she had been praying to God to bring him home safely.  She said "and God sent you.  You are Chance's guardian angel."  We talked for a while and the husband gave me $50, which I promptly refused.  They both insisted and I could see that it meant a lot to them that I take the money, so I gratefully accepted it.  The happy ending was enough for me though.  I told them that I only hope that somebody would do the same for me.  They promised that they would always remember this and pass it on if the situation ever presented itself. 

It was a good day.

3 comments:

  1. I always do this too but it's disturbing in my town. So often the dog is only 1 or 2 houses away from his home. Too many people let their dogs meander around neighborhoods here.

    Once when I was young my father and I were driving on 169 through Jordan. At the stoplight, we saw a dog running around down in the ditch area. My dad being a dog lover has the same philosophy so we stopped and picked up the dog.

    He called the owner on the tags and it turns out he was one of 15 dogs that had escaped a testing facility. My father returned him because they were the rightful owners but it haunted me and I've never forgotten it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always stop, too! And the karma has been returned. Once a man held my dogs when they got away and then brought them back to me. Three other times (yikes, I know), I've just been blessed enough to find them before they got hurt or lost for good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that brought tears to my eyes!! I know the feeling of having your little beagle run off (they do love to wander!!) Those two people had to have been so relieved to get your phone call. Prayers do get answered (Guardian Angels like you show up!!!)

    ReplyDelete