Sunday, March 4, 2012

When you gotta go, you gotta go.

Once again, I have been neglectful with updating the blog.  It is the very busiest time of the year for us at work and in balancing all the extra stress of work with the dogs, I am fully consumed. 

Xavier has been being treated for a bladder infection of some sort.  It got really bad for a while.  He couldn't even hold it for a couple of hours and he even peed himself in his sleep a few times.  Because it's not fair to leave a dog to sit in his own urine, it put our crate anxiety training on hold.  Instead he came with me to work every day and even road along with me during my sales leads.  I had to pull over every hour or so, but we made it work.  It's situations like these that make me realize how fortunate I am to be able to have my dogs at work when need be.

The urinalysis revealed something very odd.  "One for the books" according to the doctor.  I will spare the details, as people who are not fascinated with medical oddities, like I am, might find them a bit disgusting.  The puzzling test results caused us some concern that there may be some remaining damage to the bladder, which was repaired during one of his surgeries.  We got opinions from several different doctors, none of whom could give an explanation.  Everyone had ideas, but none too confident.   The starting point was a strong course of antibiotics, because the ultrasound that was done the day before I got him was perfectly normal.  He seems to be making good progress.  He can do three hour stretches in the crate now and he can control the urge a bit more.  I'm hopeful that there is no hidden damage.  There is a chance that he may always be prone to bladder infections because of his medical history.  His adopter aware of this and it doesn't deter him in the least.

Oh, and by the way, he has an adoption pending!  And, it is far, far way from the people who did this to him in the first place.  Just like Rheagan and Enzo, Xavier will be heading to the D.C. area.  His future "dad" is a chef and his fiance, who is from Italy, is just finishing up her final year in law school.  The two of them will be getting married this summer.  It sounds like they are very active, just like X, and are surrounded by walking trails and dog parks.  They have been preparing their home with all of the things that he needs.  They are aware of his separation anxiety and want his transition to be as smooth as possible.  They got him the same crate, same food, his favorite kinds of toys, and a Thundershirt.  They are also setting him up with dog medical insurance, because of his history.  He has had dogs all of his life, but X will be her very first.  She is excited, but nervous about the whole adoption process.  I think they will provide a wonderful home for X.  They are going to London next week, so he will be with us for a couple more weeks, which will give us time for follow up lab work.  We want to be sure that everything is figured out before he goes on transport, which, by the way, I am dreading already!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad X is getting a home, too! You're just shuffling them in and out these days. Good job, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy that these people can see through whatever obstacles these health issues may present and know that Xavier is a good dog who has been given a raw deal. All of your dogs are going to such upscale neighborhoods! I love that they go from the very worst of circumstances to the very best.

    ReplyDelete