Thursday, December 1, 2011

Derby's Forever Home.

Wow.  Two weeks since my last post and I missed "Wordless Wednesday" too.  Sheesh.  In my defense, I have been very busy lately.  The highlight of my absence from the blogging world was my trip home to MN.  I spent time with (most of) my favorite people.  Thanksgiving was wonderful this year with the addition of two little ones...for once I mean babies, not dogs!  I am very thankful that I got to make the trip. 

In doggy news, though most of you already know, Derby has found his forever home!  This was in the makings since I first got him.  I broke one of my personal policies and decided to adopt him out to an employee of ours.  I hesitate to do this because as anyone who has ever had employees or even been an employee knows, it doesn't always end well.  George has been a great member of our team so far, but I have seen other good guys go downhill.  I remain in touch on at least some level with the adopters of almost all of my dogs.  I would hate to ever be on bad terms with someone who has something that means so much to me.  I did have this very conversation with George, expressing my concerns. I wouldn't exactly say I "threatened" him, but I definitely got my point across;-)  I put my own paranoia and cynicism aside this time because I know that George's family will take wonderful care of Derby.  Their whole family is full of dog people.  Ironically, George's first dog was a boxer from our rescue, almost 20 years ago.  He grew up with that dog and has wanted a boxer ever since.  He and his wife just closed on their first home.  They have two little girls. 17 months and four years.  Derby makes a great addition.

Derby is a dog that I became extremely attached to.  I love them all, but some just fit so perfectly into our lives that it's hard to imagine them ever leaving.  I thought "oh, what I could do with this dog!"  I was worried that his potential might be wasted somewhere else.  After seeing this picture, my perspective changed.  I know that his job will to be this little girl's best friend.  He will be there for her and her sister as they grow up.  That is the most important job a dog can have. 




Derby stayed with them while we were in MN.  Although the adoption is yet to be "official," we didn't want him to come back into our home for the completion of the process.  He is slowly adjusting and I don't want him to have to start over.  George had Derby at the office when we got back to town (of course, our first stop was work). He and Dixie and Jax had a joyous and rambunctious reunion.  I'm glad that he will still be in our lives.  I for see many play dates in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment