Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Merry Christmas 2011

This will likely be my final post of 2011.  I sincerely thank everyone who has followed me through the year  as I write of the craziness that is living with rescue dogs.  Although I started this blog for myself so I would always have the memories of my beloved fosters who come in and out of my life, I am very happy that so many others enjoy my stories as well. 

This year, as usual, has had it's highs and lows.  The deeper I dive into the rescue world, the more often I feel like the lows exceed the highs.  If I stayed out of the networks, and stopped viewing the "urgent" lists, focusing only on my personal foster dogs, it would be easier.  However, I know the problem will not go away simply because I choose to keep my head down.  So I keep up with the latest goings on, both nationally and locally, helping where I can and continuing to have my heart broken on a regular basis.

That being said, there were many successes in animal welfare this year!  Several new laws were passed throughout the country in favor of the animals.  Some of them seem so ridiculously obvious that one would never imagine a law would have to be created for such an issue.  Sadly, that isn't the case.  Like having to pass a law that you have to feed your dog.  That is a law in Missouri now, thank God.  Commercial breeders  are now required to provide adequate food and water to their breeding dogs.  Missouri has a long way to go, but at least this is a step in the right direction.   A few more states banned greyhound racing.   Many states have created more strict punishments for animal cruelty offenders.  Some states have even started in on spay and neuter laws, the absolute most important issue in animal rescue!  Until all states adopt some form of this law, we are fighting a never ending battle.  Hopefully 2012 will continue this trend!

There have been plenty of personal highs as well.  Of course, the biggest were having six dogs (Calista, Lincoln, Bindi Sue, Rheagan, Derby and Percy) successfully placed in forever homes and having Ezra thriving in a wonderful long-term foster home.  I will never forget any one of them.  I am thankful that our home was the bridge from their pasts to futures. 

Other high points are when I hear from the adopters of my babies.  Just yesterday, I got a Christmas card from Lincoln.  His mom sent me several pictures of him and he looks awesome.  She also reminded me of how much they love him and thanked me yet again for "bringing him up to be such a sweet dog".   I talk to Rheagan's mom  quite often.  I have been helping her with some training that she has been doing with Rheagan.  She also sends pictures.  Calista's mom isn't much of a talker, but  I got a video sent to my phone one day from a number that I didn't recognize.  It was titled "WWF...boxer style" and I figured it to be a silly forward.  In fact, it was a video of Calista wrestling around the house with her doggy friends. There were no words, but I guess she knew that the video said it all.  It brought both tears and laughter.  I think moments like these may be my most favorite part of rescuing. 


Enzo in his Christmas attire!
 Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you and all of your four-legged family members!

I have attached a Christmas video (created by a different rescue).  It's hilarious to me, because I have experienced nearly every scene of it!  If you have a naughty dog or two, you will agree!  If not, well it's still pretty darn cute. Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/embed/bYTK18xq4DA?rel=0

2 comments:

  1. So cute!!! I love the dog with the can-opener in his mouth. Like he's off to find some food :-).

    All of your dogs were lucky to have you in 2011! Keep fighting the good fight and hopefully more laws will continue to be passed. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas Les! I love reading your blog and can't wait to see what 2012 brings. Thanks for sharing your home to so many deserving dogs.

    ReplyDelete